Michael Wiener has been a dedicated and devoted ALPCA Member for 50 years.
During this time, he:
- Held every ALPCA elective office including President, twice (1991 – 1992, 1992 – 1993)
- Served two terms as ALPCA Director and six terms as Vice-President
- Was appointed ALPCA Complaint Chair 1980 – 1981
- Organized and hosted the 1987 ALPCA International Convention held in Albuquerque
- President/founder of the “ALPCA Land of Enchantment Region”
- Contributed thousands of photos, numerous articles, information, and updates to ALPCA publications.
- Attended 46 ALPCA annual conventions in a row; and hundreds of regional meets throughout North America
- Is responsible for many members joining ALPCA and always helps to mentor new collectors
- Donated thousands of plastic sleeves to ALPCA every year to protect the club’s souvenir plates
- Is one of the most active members in ALPCA attending/supporting many regional meets each year
- Introduced hundreds of thousands of plates into our hobby through his extensive connections (many of these plates would have otherwise been destroyed)
- Michael was the New Mexico DMV’s Public Information Officer in 1977/78 and he authored the feature article about New Mexico Plate history for the June 1987 ALPCA Newsletter
- He also created and designed the official New Mexico Diamond Jubilee “1912 – 1987” series of Statehood Commemorative plates
- Michel Wiener is the only ALPCAN to ever serve in a State Senate; only one of four ALPCA Members ever elected to their respective state legislature).
- His political service also includes election to the Albuquerque City Council and Bernalillo County Commission (where he represented 160,000 people).
- In 2013, Michael was awarded the “Outstanding Leadership” Award by the Mid-Region Council of Governments in honor of his many accomplishments as an elected official over a thirty-year career.
- Michael’s collection was featured on HGTV’s television show “Offbeat America” and he has appeared on MSNBC with Brian Williams, where he debated the proposed Florida “Choose Life” License Plate.
- Nominated five times by his peers to the ALPCA Hall of Fame